Although you may not have the means right now to purchase a new more efficient washing machine, you can still save money by changing the way you use your current one.
- If your clothes are lightly soiled, there is no need to wash them in hot water. In fact, this causes more wear and tear on them. Try using cold water first.
- If you have more soiled clothes, pre-treat them so that you can still wash in cold water.
- Soaking heavily soiled clothes first will also help to loosen dirt and stains.
- Always rinse your clothes in cold water.
- Use the correct amount of detergent so that you don’t have to use two rinses to remove all the soap. Experiment with using a little less. Soap that remains on your clothes is hard on them.
- Make sure you have a full load before doing your laundry.
- Some machines have partial load settings. Use these if you don’t have a full load.
- Don’t overload your machine as this will cause it to run harder, and your clothes may not get as clean.
- Keep your washing machine clean and in good repair so that it will run more efficiently.