Birthday parties can be a lot of fun for children, and with the latest trend of theme and venue parties, they can also be quite expensive for the parents. It’s not necessary to spend a lot of money for the kids to have fun though. If you put on an extravaganza when your child is only 4 or 5 years old, it’s going to be hard to top it every year. It also makes it hard for the parents of your child’s friends if they feel they have to do the same. Who needs all that stress?
Here’s a few ideas for fun parties that can be done cheaply:
- Make your own cake or even cupcakes. The kids won’t notice if it isn’t perfect.
- Collect used clothes from friends, yard sales and thrift shops and play dress-up. Even boys will like this if you have the right accessories such as bandannas or eye patches.
- Make jewelry out of beads or old buttons.
- Have a limbo contest.
- Make your own bean bag toss game.
- Most young children still like the age-old Pin the Tail on the Donkey, although it doesn’t have to be a donkey.
- Have a scavenger or treasure hunt.
- Young children, particularly boys, like silly games like a laughing contest.
- Drop the clothes pin into the bottle is an old game but still fun. You could increase the difficulty by using bottles with progressively smaller openings.
- Have a funny dress-up game where you put a bunch of goofy things in a bag, and each child takes turns putting them on.
Check out some more ideas here: http://www.frugalvillage.com/2010/10/06/party-games-on-a-budget