Help for Those Facing Eviction

Are you worried about being evicted from your home or having your gas and electricity turned off? There is probably a community action agency in your town or county that can help you. The Community Services Block Grant program, run by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, issues funds to the individual states which, in turn, pass them on to the agencies in order to assist residents in danger of losing their home or utilities. Those seeking help must have been issued an eviction or utility shut-off notice.

The purpose of the Community Services Block Grant program is to keep people in their homes, whether they are owners or renters, and to assist them with utility payments if necessary. The first step is to apply for help through your state’s Department of Human Resources. Even if you are turned down by your state’s human resource department, it may be possible to receive funds from the community program.