In addition to checking your policy annually, there are other things you can do to save money on your homeowner’s insurance.
- Increase your deductible. Most people have low deductibles because they don’t like the idea of paying for losses out of pocket. However, doing that means paying more for your insurance.
- Insurance companies give credit for security upgrades such as deadbolt locks , smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors or security systems.
- Smokers in the house always raise the price of insurance. Stop if possible.
- Some companies charge less for homeowners who are retired.
- Putting your auto and homeowner’s insurance together with the same company usually gets you a lower rate.