Many people feel that they have to have matched bedroom sets when they buy their first home. However, in order to buy good quality furniture, you have to spend a lot of money. You can often get better furniture and spend less money by buying used. Check out yard sales, estate sales, thrift shops and used furniture stores. We have bought all of our dressers at used furniture stores, and they have served us well for many years.
If you are handy, you can often refinish old furniture. Or, you might be able to find someone who likes to do it as a hobby, and would do it for you at a reduced rate.
A cheap dresser can be really frustrating because the drawers don’t move freely. Here’s some things you should look for when shopping for this important piece of furniture.
- Check to see that it is of solid wood construction. A layer of thin wood veneer is okay as long as the wood underneath is solid.
- Check to see that the front of the drawers are dove-tailed to the sides – not stapled or glued.
- Check to see that there are drawer guides on the sides, or one in the bottom middle, and that the drawers move freely.
- If it has wheels, make sure they are in good shape.
- Check for overall construction, so that it looks and feels solid and not flimsy.