Tax Refund Missing?

Are you one of those people who suddenly realized you never got your tax refund? Maybe you moved and forgot to notify the post office of your new address. Or perhaps you entered your address incorrectly on your income tax return. If so, the IRS is trying to find you so they can give you your money and clean up their accounting before the next tax season begins.

An easy way to check on your refund is to use the online tool called Where’s My Refund? at,,id=96596,00.html?portlet=108. If you don’t have access to a computer, you can use the same tool by calling 1-800-829-1954.

The IRS also gives a warning about scam artists who may try to get you to give them personal information on the phone, through regular mail, or through emails. Make sure you read their precautions here:,,id=179820,00.html. If you have any doubts about mail or phone calls you receive, call the IRS first to verify that the person who contacted you is legitimate.

One way to avoid these problems in the future is to use e-file and direct deposit for your income tax returns and refunds. Not only is it free, but it’s safer and faster.

If you don’t get around to contacting the IRS for your refund, it will be added to your refund or subtracted from the amount owed when you file next year.

2 thoughts on “Tax Refund Missing?

Comments are closed.