Airline travel has become more expensive as gas prices rise, and most airlines charge for checked luggage. If you are trying to reduce the cost of travel, there are some things you can do to lower or eliminate the baggage fees.
- Pack light. If you can get by with just a carry on bag, you won’t have to pay the fee. Make sure that it doesn’t exceed size and weight limits or you’ll end up having to check it.
- If you are checking bags, remember to weigh them so you aren’t charged an excess weight fee. Usually, the maximum weight is 50 lbs – another reason to pack light.
- If you have a choice, consider airlines that don’t charge for the first checked bag such as Southwest and JetBlue.
- Some airlines offer frequent flier benefits which may include free baggage checking. If you are eligible, this may be a consideration when you buy your ticket.
- Additional bags have even higher fees so learn how to pack light and tight.
- It may pay for you to mail your luggage, particularly if you have more than one bag. You could just pack it in a box and save the added weight of a suitcase. An added benefit of shipping all of your luggage would be that you could get out of the airport sooner when you arrive.